Coromal vs Jayco for offroad?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 17:06
ThreadID: 69951 Views:16990 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We're looking for a 2nd hand camper trailer for a lap of Oz- 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs. No intention of abusing it, but some dirt e.g. Gibb River Rd. Travelling Jan-June.

Any thoughts on a 2005 Coromal Silhoutte PS421 Off road vs 2006 Jayco Eagle Outback? The Jayco is about $2000 cheaper. We're newbies to this style of camper.

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark C (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:25

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:25
Recently purchased a jayco eagle 2004 outback an travelled up to birdsville, down to marree, arkaroola down to yunta across to menindee lakes and a few side tracks in between.
Wouldnt hesitate to take it further. Ours has 2 gas bottles and extra water tank fitted as well as 2 water jerries on back with spare wheel. You know you are towing something of this size and weight and does have big affect on fuel economy but you have to pay some price for all the luxuries.
AnswerID: 370727

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:27

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:27
Coromal suspension is better and the fact that it's independent gives better/more clearance. Not sure about build quality these days though, now that Coromal have moved interstate. I've heard their build quality is not what it was but only heresay.

I've had Coromals and now have an "offroad" Jayco.
AnswerID: 370730

Reply By: shanegu6 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:35
I have a coromal pioneer silhouette 450 2004 model. Have had it for over 3 years. Many offroad adventures in it, a few serious offroad trips, winching involved. No real problems. Cupboard handles either need modifying or changing as they frequently come over during some rough tracks. We have used the zip tie style child proof locks on the knobs which has worked fine.

The independant suspension works a treat. Stabiliser legs are low slung and can suffer some damage offroad. Tow ball weight is quite significant for a van of its weight.
AnswerID: 370734

Reply By: Simo & Stace - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:05

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:05
Hi ozwrangler,

Have just been through the same questioning our selves, so many choices!! In the end we went for a Coromal Silhoutte PS420 2003, which i believe was the first of the 420 and 421's they are practically the same. We found the build quality of the Coromals a little better than the Jayco's the small things that add up. Which is why they have a higher price tag. We felt that the Coromal's also jest felt sturdier and more comfortable, the seating anyway.

Most people will say they like what they own (like i just did), but it's really what suits you and your budget. Most people that i have spoken to said just drive to the conditions and what ever is behind you should make it. I think it's all about attitiude drive smart and you will be fine.
AnswerID: 370740

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:15

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:15
I won't take sides, but we had a 2006 Penguin Outback and loved it. No problems with loose gravel or corrugated roads. It towed extremely well.

Coromal has a good reputation, and independent suspension might be better than Jayco system, but sometimes simple is better.

I am not having a shot at anyone, but the clearance issue, which a Coromal dealer spun us as well, amuses me. What is the point of better clearance on the van than the tow vehicle? After all, if both have 16 inch wheels, the Jayco with a square section bar axle will still have better clearance than the tow vehicle with its thicker axle casings and diffs.

Which is best for you probably depends mostly on which you prefer.

Finally someone mentioned a Jayco off road van. I would welcome correction, but as far as I know, there is no such thing. The Outback range (and I have had two) are for dirt roads, not off road, which is very different.
AnswerID: 370755

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:18

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:18
so you don't understaznd the significance of "quotes"

the Coromal tows better in my experience and the more clearance the better. Also better finish.

I have found the Jayco to have less rattles and loose bits though as well as being generally a fair bit cheaper

FollowupID: 638076

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 03:43

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 03:43
Terry,

I have to agree with you bud regarding the spin about clearance, We did all the sums etc 2 years ago. Had the same yarn by the dealer until I pointed out that as you say unless the springs are lower than the tow vehicle's diff whats the problem, also the Coromal has a drop step just in front of the wheel that is far more of a clearance problem than anything on a Jayco.

I believe for get all the sales hype, buy the one that suits you, Having towed our Jayco places that surposed dedicated offroad campers break on eg: Anne Beadell Highway with no problems, I can't put them down other than say I spent 2 weekends replacing screws in cupboards before doing any serious offroad stuff as the screws in the hinges were a fraction to short. I can't comment on the Coromal Screws etc. My brother just bought a Jayco Pengiun and he looked at the Coromal and the price was nearly $3,500 difference and he commented that even though the Coromal looked prettier (beading on cupboard doors) the build finish on the Jayco was better.

So Wrangler I guess you have to pay the extra for the Coromal if thats what you like, but don't let it's supposed offroad ability sway you. Normal Leaf springs are easier to buy at Birdsville (outback towns) than special suspension setups.

Cheers
FollowupID: 638096

Reply By: Boobook2 - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:00

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 07:00
You should also consider a Goldstream. Better quality and tougher than either of your current choices IMHO.

Check the chassis rail sizes, suspension set up, floor construction, diameter of the wires to wind up the top, and fit out like cupboards, latches, etc.

Regardless of choice you should get independant suspension for that kind of trip.
AnswerID: 370818

Reply By: pheonix - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:02

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:02
I have an 04 Outback Jayco Eagle, last year we did 20,000 km's including evrything we could up in the Kimberley's. Yes there are better vans out there but IMO you would be better off buying to a budget and using the extra money to travel. P.S leave the dogs at home as you will miss so much travelling with them.
AnswerID: 370840

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 00:49

Saturday, Jun 20, 2009 at 00:49
If you want mass production buy Jayco at a cheaper price.
If you want a better finish you buy else where.
They all have problems of some description some minor some major.
It may also depend on the pocket.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370995

Reply By:- Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 13:45

Sunday, Jun 21, 2009 at 13:45
Hi. Had a coromal silhoutte off road.Had trouble with the usual door knobs/hinge falling off aswell as the slide where the door rolls into roof. If you go this way and take it on the Gibb take some spare screws and a cordless drill with you . Fairly heavy though for its size as already mentioned.
Glen (WA)
AnswerID: 371165

Sponsored Links